This fantasy spoof is a retelling of the ancient Rhinegold myth used by Richard Wagner in his Ring Cycle of operas. The tale has something for every reader: love, greed, treachery, lust, murder, magic and incest. All provided by a legendary cast that includes:
* Brunnhilde, an exiled Valkyrie who seeks the secret of mortal love.
* Siegfried, a hero with a really strange background.
* Fafner, a greedy dragon, formerly a greedy mortal.
* Alberich, a nasty Nibelung (some would call him a smelly, dirty dwarf.)
* Wotan and Loki, gods of Asgard.
* Lots of mortals, assorted Valkyries, several birds and the earth goddess.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was a great retelling of an old Norse myth. However, it was extremely tongue-in-cheek. It was a lot of great fun to read.
The characters were well developed. They had me laughing until it hurt.