Image via Wikipedia
Well, 2010 is gone and 2011 is finally underway. It’s time to do the annual New Years Resolutions. I am actually posting them on my blog in hopes that my friends and family will jab me every now and then to help keep me on track.
Every year, I try to do the same resolutions and they are harder for me then most people. Every year, I do the whole lose weight thing. With my immune system and thyroid imbalance, losing weight is next to impossible. So for this year, I am going to work on things that I can control. Things that I should be doing all along, but don’t always do.
1. Take my medicine on a regular basis. (I don’t always take it because of various reasons. Usually that I forget to take it when I am supposed to and then just don’t take it when I remember)
2. Drink more water and less soda. (Every year I say that I will quite soda. That is impossible for me to do cold turkey since I have been drinking it since I was a little child. So instead of saying I will completely quite and then get upset with myself when I slip up and have one, I am going to say that I am going to drink less. This way I don’t feel guilty for having the occasional soda.)
3. Make sure I go to the doctor regularly. (I had been going monthly to get my shots in the beginning of the year. However, I had an insurance mix up and couldn’t go to the doctor for about a month. Well, I just never resumed my monthly visits after that. I can feel the difference between when I was getting my shots and now that I haven’t)
4. I will try to be more patient with people and myself.
5. I will get back on the gluten free diet since I felt so much better when I was gluten free. (During the holidays, I slide quite a bit off the gluten free path. OK! It was more like an avalanche off the path, but still. I know that I will probably be led into temptation every now and then. I mean really, who can pass up Outback’s yummy bread?? But I will be more understanding with myself when I do slip).
6. I will try to get some form of exercise daily. Even if it is just walking around in circles in my bedroom, I need to get up and get moving.
7. I will start to meditate again on a regular basis. One thing that I used to do ages and ages ago was to meditate nightly before going to bed. It was a way for me to relax, unwind, and let go of my worries of the day before slipping off into the world of dreams. During my meditations, I would perform Reiki on myself. However, with all the upheaval a few years ago with my mom’s health and subsequent death, I just fell away from the practice. I think its more then time for me to start back up again
8. I will try to keep my hair cut and colored most of the time. This last year, I just let me hair get out of control. I haven’t cut or styled it in ages, so it just basically is in a pony tail all of the time. Plus I haven’t colored it in months. I have so much grey it isn’t funny. Plus the roots are extremely long! I think they go down to around my ears. I think the reason I stopped is because I seemed to have stopped caring about myself somewhere along the way.
9. I will get back into my regular spiritual practices. I stopped studying, I stopped praying, I just seemed to have given up. The only thing I realized is that I feel lost now more then ever in my life. I feel like I have no direction. At least on a spiritual path, you know where you are headed and you don’t feel alone.
10. Read more books to help expand my mind. I already read a ton of books normally. In 2010, I didn’t read as much as normal. I just stepped away from too many things I love to do. It’s time I get back into reading a ton of books. They spark my imagination. And to help me keep the reading going, I joined a bunch of different challenges.
Now in #10, I mentioned challenges. One of the challenges that I am in for this year isn’t based off of reading books. It is taking a hard look at your life and finding ways to improve it and enjoy it. So this list will be a jumping off point for that challenge for me.
If you have a blog and plan on posting your resolutions, be sure to add your link over at SimplyStacie. She has a great site and has decided to link together the different resolution posts that bloggers have.